March 5, 2009 This articles covers the basics of creating a custom search vertical using django-springsteen and then deploying it on Google App Engine.
May 29, 2016 We often talk about individuals getting burned out by their work, but for large projects, entire teams burn out as well. Here are some ideas around healing a burned out team.
September 27, 2016 A very common technical interview is the "Architecture Interview", and this post digs into what signal they're looking for and how to give that signal.
September 17, 2009 A quick overview of how I ended up versioning templates in Pitance, requiring a bit of extra meta-data as well as creative use of the query api.
February 18, 2009 Here is a first for my blog: an experiment conducted using something approaching the scientific method. In other ways it wasn't a first for my blog, because it was essentially a complete failure. Damn it.
June 7, 2007 This is the new home of an old entry from the now defunct original incarnation of *Irrational Exuberance*. These entries are almost two years old, and haven't necessarily aged well, but maybe that's a good thing. This one talks about object orientation often blinding us from simple solutions.
May 5, 2008 Erlang doesn't have a built in function for joining strings, and so I sat down to put one together quickly. A quick look at two different ways that join can be implemented.
December 4, 2008 I like LifeFlow. I like it a lot, you'd hope so, because I'm probably the only person who seriously uses it. That said, there are a number of issues that make it difficult to work with, and they need to be resolved before the blog platform is genuinely usable.
September 11, 2016 Rolling out cost accounting is often viewed as unimportant and unexciting work, but I think it's infact a critical reliability project.
March 6, 2009 I've simplified the process of deploying django-springsteen on the Google App Engine down to a several minute process. Take a look.
January 2, 2010 This third part of the series working on Dynamo works on refactoring the code thus far into something more workable. In particular we add unittests and convert the message-passing based implementation into an OTP gen_server.